Happy New Year everyone!
We tend to anchor all changes we want to make in our life to a particular world recognised day or a major event. For example, starting this Thanksgiving I will stop eating deserts. Once I graduate, I will start gym regularly and the list goes on. One of these famous anchors is the new year’s eve where majority of the people, irrespective of which part of the world they belong to, make various resolutions for their new year and how they plan to brings changes to their existing lifestyle.
I happen to be in that majority crowd and will try listing down my resolutions in this article which happens to be my first ever write up! (a new year resolution! ;))
Tomorrow is the first blank page of a 365 page book. Write a good one
To have Something you never had, you got to do something you never done
So my resolutions are:
- GYM EVERYDAY – Starting August 2017 I have been regularly hitting the gym for about 3-4 days a week. So how is this a resolution then if I am already doing it? The twist is, I will be going to gym everyday now. Irrespective of if it a rest day of not. Just go to gym and maybe run for a while, or stay home and do a resistance bands home workout. Main purpose being, I want to make this a discipline. Everyday exercise is mainly to re-energize the brain, get the blood flowing and heart pumping.
- FINISH WHAT YOU START- lets highlight this a little more. So I am a kind of person who starts off many things but gets bored very early and leaves the task unfinished. Now this is a fundamental problem and I have no idea how to fix this. Hence, a simple step in the process of making this a habit. Start but don’t stop until you finish it. Easier said than done right? I have kept an reminder alarm for the whole year which rings before bed time just shouting “FINISH WHAT YOU STARTED TODAY”
- GOODREADS CHALLENGE – 15 books. What I figured with my previous resolutions is that whenever I set this resolution I end up wasting time on what should I be reading or even worse, even up reading some crappy book. So a change to that is here. List of 15 books I will finish come what may.
- The Brothers Karamazov
- The Facebook effect
- The everything store
- Autobiography of a Yogi
- Hatching Twitter
- The Upstarts
- The New Confessions of an Economic Hitman
- The Picture of Dorian Grey
- The Return of Depression Economics
- The Intelligent Investor
- Art of War
- The power of Habit
- Misfit Economics
- The Greenspan Effect
- When Genius Failed
- PODCASTS ROUTINE – Listen and review here. Here the goal is to cultivate the habit of making notes. Very important if the goal is to be an infinite learner.
- END YOUR DAY WITH A DAILY JOURNAL – This is a way to clear off your mind with juggling daily thoughts. So when we retire ourselves for the day and lie down, our mind starts going through the day’s events and what all happened. This way you are lost for a while and hence you end up delaying your sleep.
- LEARN TO INVEST – I have a masters in financial engineering from NYU Tandon School, but am I doing anything with it? No. This year I am going learn to invest in stocks and options (I consider options as the best Financial derivatives).
So here is my list! I plan to do a progress report on these resolutions this time and grade myself accordingly.
Once again, Happy New Year Guys! Cheers!!!